Monday 8 November 2010

Review: Marc Jacobs Basil

This is my first fragrance review. Feel free to spit and laugh. I'm absolutely rubbish at describing scents that aren't bang in your face but will try my very best!

Photobucket

This scent has to be one of my favourites for this time of year. Described as a summer fragrance, it's refreshing amongst the autumnal heady florals. I bought this back in August and quite honestly barely touched it until a couple of weeks ago. John used it on and off but decided it wasn't for him and it slowly slid to the back of my fragrance drawer.

The packaging is clean and chic; a plain, clear glass bottle with a black glossy cap and simple labelling. This bottle is a whopping 300ml meaning it will last forever! I've been using this for at least 3 weeks straight and it has barely gone down. It is priced at £43 but I picked it up for £17.99 at TK Maxx. Nice!

Lifted from the post I first mentioned this in:

It's a clean unisex fragrance with top notes of tomato leaf, lemon and basil, middle notes of orange blossom, freesia and jasmine and base notes of sandalwood, musk and cashmere wood. Now I don't know what any of that means, I just know that I like it. Though I do think it might be weird that John and I will smell the same on certain days. I think he'll be using this a lot more than I will as it's a slightly more masculine fragrance - and I'm more than happy for him to. It is after all, a huuuge bottle.

I still stand by this. I love its masculinity. I love the strong woody base, the lighter fruity notes. I love the way it sits on my skin and develops throughout the day. It's one of those fragrances that evolves as you wear it. It starts out strong, with the earthy notes coming out first. At around lunchtime, you're left with a light fruity, herby scent which lasts until teatime when most will choose another fragrance for evening. I now realise that I not only like my men to have perfect timing, but my perfumes too.

4 comments:

  1. That sounds delish. The fact that it's called Basil made me hesitate, since I'm not exactly keen to smell like a fresh vat of pasta! I'll probably hunt for it now in Boots and see what I think. I'm really into masculine fragrances at the mo and rather like Thierry Mugler's Womanity and Angel...after a few hours.

    Do you have any other recommendations? I'm trying Belle d'Opium as my 'dark' scent at the moment, but it's not heavy enough for my liking after the initial spray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought it without smelling it. Big no no as "Basil" made me think twice too. But I'm glad I picked it up.

    I really love Womanity! I don't own it but it's certainly on my list. Bvlgari Black is another lovely one if you're into slightly more masculine scents. Dior Midnight Poison is also very nice. I don't love-love it as I'm not a huge fan of patchouli but I can appreciate it as a fragrance.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds really really nice!
    Reading about the top notes made me hungry for some pasta though :p
    I will check it out next time I'm at a Sephora.
    I'm not really into masculine perfumes, but this sounds interesting enough!
    Lovely review girl!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you described this well! Im pretty pants at describing scents myself I tend to go something like this:

    Yea I like this perfume because it smells really really nice

    =l

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and appreciate every single one.

Related Posts with Thumbnails