Saturday 14 August 2010

Review: Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion

I've been using Cetaphil for about a year now and can safely say that it is one of the best moisturisers I have ever used out of both high end and drugstore. It's perfect for my skin type - acne prone combination skin. I am very oily on my T-zone and can be quite dry on my cheeks and very dry under my eyes in the winter. I get acne just about everywhere - small whiteheads on my forehead and cystic acne on my cheeks and jawline. I hardly ever get acne where I am oily (strange no?) so I can only assume the cause of it is irritation from products and dryness on my cheeks - it makes me pick flakes, scratch and generally touch my face a lot more.

The reason I have photos of two bottles of the same product, is because though the labels say the same thing, the product in the bottles are different.

Photobucket

The one on the left was sent to me by a kind friend in the US. It's the Cetaphil packaging most people know. The second one is what I bought in Hong Kong.

Photobucket

The one from the States has a thinner consistency and tends to serve better as a day lotion. The other is slightly thicker so I tend to use it at night unless I have the time to wait for it to sink in properly before applying my makeup.

The difference in packaging isn't too much of an issue to me - The US Cetaphil is 250ml, the other is 200ml. I once bought a Cetaphil daily facial wash (which I absolutely loved, but never repurchased because of the price of the stuff here - 8 quid a bottle from Amazon when it's a couple dollars in the US) which has the same packaging as the bottle I bought in Hong Kong. Not sure if that's relevant at all, just thought I'd throw it in there.

What the bottles say:

"Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion: Clinically proven to bind water to the skin and prevent moisture loss. Quick absorbtion and long-lasting hydration of the (outer-most layer of the) skin. Helps maintain the skin's natural protective barrier.
Provides immediate soothing and softening. Fragrance free and lanolin free formulation, appropriate for sensitive or dry skin.
Specifically formulated to hydrate sensitive or dry skin. Recommended to re-hydrate damaged skin associated with common skin conditions and following dermtological treatments."

"Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion was formulated specifically for chronic dry, sensitive skin.
* Contains a superior system of extra-strength emollients and humectants, clinically proven to bind water to the skin and prevent moisture loss.
* Provides long-lasting relief to even severe dry skin.
* Non-irritating. Non-sensitizing. Contains no fragrances, parabens or lanolin. Non-comedogenic."

It sounds attractive. Something that's going to combat my dry spots while taking care not to tick off my acne or interfere with the smell of my perfume (which some acne moisturisers can do - they stink!). Having used this for as long as I have, it has never caused me to break out and has proven time and time again to actually help in the event of a break out. It makes my skin more supple so it's easier to smooth my foundation and concealer over my blemishes without it looking cakey or flakey, thus discouraging me to pick. I've used it on sunburn and it is absolutely fantastic for that as well. Stick it in the fridge then slather it over your burnt bits!

The US Cetaphil takes about 5 minutes to sink into the skin properly. The EU/Asia one takes slightly longer. I would say about 10 minutes. If you have the time to spare in your daily routine, I recommend the UK/Asia one.

If, like me, you've had problems with your skin for a long time and had no luck with the 1008 regimens you've tried, please consider giving this a go. I truly believe that stripping back your skincare routine to bare essentials works especially if you have problem skin. I used to believe that slapping acne treatment all over my face worked - and if it wasn't stinging and painful, it wasn't working. Now I believe that the more gentle the product, the better it is for your skin.

I use a combination of gentle skin products and only use toners that are alcohol free. The one I love at the moment is Lush's Tea Tree Water. If you have oily skin, it's important to remember that stripping your skin of natural oils with harsh cleansers and alcohol based toners will only kick your skin into panic mode and cause it to overproduce oil. So you end up with oilier skin using products designed to strip the oils! I believe I've talked about this before.
I highly rate this product and would recommend it to people with problem and normal skin alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and appreciate every single one.

Related Posts with Thumbnails